Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28 :: Somotillo, Nicaragua

January 28 :: Somotillo, Nicaragua :: 100km / 1907km total

Another quiet day in the saddle, putting in the early requisite miles to beat the heat. With occasional tailwinds today's ride was much faster and easier, but still as I approached the border with Nicaragua (at the 95km mark) the heat was rising and my stomach was unsettled. I crossed into my 30th country, pedalled for another 5km, and called it a nice early day (11am). The last 2 days line up nicely, distance-wise, being about 100km from here to Leon - a big touristy town with lots to eat and see and do - and a further 100km to Managua, the end of my trip.

Nicaragua is the 2nd-poorest country in the Western Hemisphere (next to Haiti), and it does show a bit, compared to the countries I've come through. Immediately on crossing the border the road deteriorated into a badly-patched potholed paved road - I´ll have to start tomorrow's ride about 30 minutes later than usual, since I'll have to really be able to SEE the road surface. The stores are much more sparsely stocked, and the roadside houses and huts are noticably shabbier. The people are the same friendly as always... the wars are definitely over down here in Central America. Tonight I have one of the best deals of the entire trip for accomodation - A/C, tv, bathroom, nice room with wooden (almost Victorian) furniture... $17.

No comments: