Monday, January 21, 2008

January 21 :: Panajachel, Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala

January 21 :: Panajachel, Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala :: 37km / 1197km total

A short but tough ride over the Continental Divide (at around 7000 feet), then dropping about a vertical kilometre to Lago de Atitlan, still 4500 feet above sea level. On the way down I rode about 1km of the PanAmerican Highway, a loosely connected group of roads that runs theoretically from Alaska to Chile. Dropping down towards Panajachel the views were tremendous, and Lago de Atitlan truly is spectacular... a volcanic crater lake surrounded by multiple volcanic peaks. One peak in the distance was steaming a bit.

Panajachel is the first tourist town I have been to since... Flores (at Tikal) and its a bit of a culture shock coming out of the little Mayan mountain villages to Gringo city. The Guatemalans are different here, too... not as universally friendly as in the backcountry, and certainly more pushy regarding stuff to buy, etc. However, the food options are unlimited and thats a big part of why I am taking a half day off here. My body definitely needs a bit of a break after the hardest 250km that I{ve ever ridden.

From here its a few days more of riding, near the Pacific, and then into El Salvador! I haven{t picked my route yet... there are a number of things to consider, but I will be crossing at the Southernmost border, Ciudad Pedro de Alvarado.

No comments: