Sunday, January 20, 2008

January 20 :: Chichicastenango, Guatemala

January 20 :: Chichicastenango, Guatemala :: 80km / 1160km total

I´m utterly exhausted as I write this, had a hard time going up the stairs to this 2nd floor internet cafe. All I want to do is lie down and sleep... which I´ll be doing in about 15 minutes. No pics today, again internet slow, and besides I´m too tired... anyways...

The alarm went off as usual at 5:15am, but this time a second pitter patter sound accompanied it... rain! I reset for 9am, glad for the extra sleep. Ultimately I was on the road around 10am, having eaten breakfast... quite late, but I wasn´t going down any mountains on rain-slicked road.

Immediately the road turned upwards for the first of two brutal climbs today. After an hour of walking/pushing I crested the col, took some pics, and shot down 11km to Sacapulas below. Time to climb again. 20km of rolling climbs (some pedalling, some pushing) again took me to a high plateau, and from there it was rolling all the way to Chichicastenango. I arrived in town as the Sun was setting, pretty beaten up after 3 long hard days in the thick of Guatemala´s mountains.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How do these mountains compare to the Himalaya and the other mountain ranges you have climbed?