Sunday, January 13, 2008

January 13 :: San Ignatio, Belize

January 13 :: San Ignatio, Belize :: 179km / 607km total

Another cool, crisp early morning start, this time down a very quiet 2-lane road. As with in Mexico the drivers were great, and stayed well away from me as I booted along Southwards. The road was flat and uneventful, and it was 57km before I stopped for a drink and some cookies. Pulling into Burrell Boom I had my first meal of the day, at the 75km mark. Right out of Burrell a local cylist caught up with me and we rode along chatting to Hattieville. There were many cyclists out today, actually, and it helped to keep things interesting.

Turning West towards Guatemala led me to the Belize Zoo... one of the best zoos I've ever been to. Its built in a completely natural setting, and had crocodiles and jaguars, among other more commonly seen animals (lots of pics, but slow internet, hopefully I'll get them uploaded tomorrow!).

It was only 12:30pm as I left the zoo, having already put in over 100km for the day... the tourist town of San Ignatio sat about 66km down the road... and I went for it. It was as hot as usual, but I guess I'm slowly acclimatizing to the heat, as I didn't suffer to badly. The mountains closed in as I pushed away from the coast, and the last 30km was quite hilly. Happily and not too banged up, I rode very satisfied into San Ignatio... 16km from Guatemala! If things go as planned I'll be walking the ruins of Tikal tomorrow afternoon.

End of today's ride, and all of tomorrow's

3 comments:

hotheaded said...

oh man, i'm envious. i meets you in guatemala!

Unknown said...

It seems you have been flying so far. The mountains are coming rapidly to you.

Graham Durrant said...

Ash: I thought you were sick of travel for a bit!

Kenton: Yes, I know it, and it has me a bit nervous. Good thing is that I now have a 2-day ¨buffer¨ in case I need to take some shorter km (=brutal climbing) days.