Friday, January 25, 2008

January 24 :: El Zonte, El Salvador

January 24 :: El Zonte, El Salvador :: 0km / 1526km total

I suppose it can´t be an "authentic" trip outside of the Western world without this happening, and around 2am it started, the desparate dashes to the bathroom to sit on, or kneel in front of, or both in succession, the toilet. Thank God I had upscaled $10 and taken a cabin with it´s own toilet. It definitely did not shape up to be a good day, but having been through this before I sort of knew what to expect. Eight to ten hours of Hell, followed by most of a day of weakness and slow recovery. Midday I was able to get out of my little beach resort cabin and make it to the restaurant, order a watermelon and Gatorade, and limp back to the safety of my room. A major accomplishment around dinnertime as I left the resort and successfully found toothpaste. A late half-meal, and I thought that maybe I could ride a bit tomorrow.

2 comments:

hotheaded said...

what do you think it was? something you ate or a serious case of heatstroke?

Graham Durrant said...

definitely food poisoning.